Tipperary Station School is located in the beautiful homestead complex on Tipperary Station, 29 kilometres from the Daly River Road and 180 kilometres from Darwin. The property occupies an area of 209,800 hectares (518,427 acres).
Tipperary Station School is a primary school only. It provides Transition to Year Six education for the children of residents of Tipperary Station. The school currently has one teacher (the Teaching Principal – Jasmine Shannon email@example.com) and an Assistant Teacher. In past years the enrolment has ranged from 8 to 20 pupils, with a long-term average of about 14 pupils.
The school has two classrooms, an office, well-maintained gardens and grounds, as well as access to other sporting facilities including gymnasiums, swimming pools, the equestrian centre and more. The school is well-resourced, with an interactive whiteboard, computers, a small library, and 1:1 iPad program.
Established in 1914, the station was taken by William James Byrne who had previously owned a business in Brocks Creek and eventually acquired Burnside station. By 1914 he sold Burnside and established Tipperary just beyond the Burnside boundary.
Byrne settled on the property with his wife Elizabeth and they had seven sons, only four of whom lived to adulthood.
The station was once owned by entrepreneur and one of Australia’s richest and most influential men,Warren Anderson who bought the property in the mid-1980s. Tipperary Station was renowned for Warren Anderson’s eccentric dreams and collections of rare and exotic animals. Anderson purchased Tipperary in the 1980’s to house his private collection of zebras, giraffes, white rhinoceros, hippopotamus, deer and antelope. At its prime, Tipperary was home to about 2,000 animals from Africa, India and Mongolia. Campfire stories about herbivorous African wildlife being spotted wandering the NT outback have since been shared among locals and tourists alike. The zoo’s myths and legends are Territory folk law and the odd sighting of a wild animal still occurs today.
Anderson sold his empire in 2003 to Melbourne barrister and National Gallery of Victoria’s president of trustees, Allan Myers. Alan Myers QC paid $50 million along with the 80,000 cattle. Myers also acquired Elizabeth Downs, Fish River and Litchfield stations. Myers had intended to stock the group with 200,000 head of cattle but struck financial problems and sold the property in 2003.
In April 2011, AACo took over the management of Tipperary and Litchfield Station, as well as purchasing 50,000 head of cattle.
Other facilities at Tipperary Station included an indoor equestrian centre, an 8,000 feet (2,438 m) airstrip runway suitable for a Boeing 737 to land, an airport, resort style accommodation including swimming pools, bird aviaries, mango orchards, manicured lawns for polo, gymnasiums, shop, social club, and much, much more.
As of 2012, David Warriner, the head of the Northern Territory Cattlemen’s Association, was managing the group which was stocked with 70,000 cattle raised for live export to Indonesia.